Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sleep Apnea

Hi! Both of our little bundles of joy suffer from Sleep Apnea. The apnea can show up in two forms, when the baby forgets to breath and when their heart rate drops or slows down. This sounds super frightening but is actually a very common ailment in the NICU. 80% of babies born before 30 weeks suffer from apnea. Both of our little babies have it and they have both been treated with caffeine to help control it. When they forget to breath and alarm goes off and the nurse touches them to wake them up and remind them to breath. Luckily this is something that both babies should grow out of and we should see some relief at 36-38 weeks.

Papa and Nana Linn and I got to experience an episode with Christian while we were visiting today. We all decided that we were VERY happy they were in the good hands of the nurses 24/7 while they are still so little.

In other baby news, feedings have been going well and increasing for both babies and Brock seems to be loving his new enclosed home. It is warmer, quieter and feels safer to the babies so I am sure Christian will love it to when he is able to be moved. The incubator is set at 0% humidity and 88.5 degrees..... kind of makes me want to move in with him :)

I am feeling very tired today and will be resting for the remainder of the day. Like my babies I keep taking two steps forward and one step back with my recovery. We have a lot in common :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer: I am Missy's mother in law, Matt's mom, and a friend of Cliff and Lauren. I am following your blog and just wanted to comment to let you know that I am praying for you, your extended family, and especially Christian and Brock! They are adorable! I check in on you each day to see your specific prayer needs. I love the pictures and hearing that they are progressing so well! You are a beautiful family and it is so uplifting to read about you! Take care of yourself ... and I hope you find comfort knowing that people you don't even know are praying for you all! Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina! Thank you so much for following the blog! We love all the people that are following the boys stories and praying for them. Missy was such an inspiration to me on bed rest. She is so upbeat and positive. Please keep reading and give Matt and Missy a big hug from all the Barefeet family! Jenn Barefoot

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie